Sezioni

Spezzano Castle
Spezzano Castle courtyard

Spezzano Castle

Ancient fortress of the Pio family, Museum of Ceramics, town vinegar cellar

Spezzano Castle is Medieval, but was transformed by the Pio di Savoia family into a palace in 1529. The central part consists of the Renaissance porticoed courtyard, the reception rooms and the Room of Views, with an imposing array of frescoes showing feudal towns, towers and castles.

This elegant country residence, which offered a warm welcome to its guests, is now home to the  Fiorano Museum of Ceramics , housed on the ground floor and in the basement of the castle.

The castle is surrounded by a romantic, nineteenth century park, with an equipped picnic area; a cycle path-footpath leads to the  Salse di Nirano Nature Reserve.

The pentagonal tower, which originally housed the dungeons, is now home to the town vinegar cellar.

A room on the ground floor, once the Council Room and court, became the chapel in the early twentieth century, with a precious decorated altar with an altar-cloth in Carpi plaster from 1699 and an eighteenth century kneeling-stool, donated by the relatives of Count Alfonso Pignatti Morano, who was the owner of Spezzano Castle.

The Council Room contains a cord, attached to a bell on the entrance tower, which was used to warn the local populace in the case of fire, natural catastrophes and murders. The seventeenth century bell was replaced by the nineteenth century bell still present.

More information

Info utili

Via del Castello no. 12

Tel: +39 0536 833412; +39 0536 833438

Email: cultura@fiorano.it; info@archeosistemi.it; iat@maranello.it

Ordinary opening times from April to October: Saturday and Sunday 3.00 p.m. - 7.00 p.m.

November: Saturday and Sunday 3.00 p.m. - 6.00 p.m.

Special opening times on Easter Day, Easter Monday and 15 August: 3.00 p.m. - 7.00 p.m.

Free admission with free visit.

Guided tours by appointment: +39 0522532094; +39 335440372

Vedi sulla mappa